With Mark Cazalet

25.06.2022 – 02.07.2022

Maximum group size: 9

“If drawing belongs to the world of the spirit and colour to that of the senses, you must draw first to cultivate the spirit”

– Henri Matisse


Tuition fee (GBP): £400 to be paid directly to Mark Cazalet.

Villa Lugara Fee (EUR): €850 to €1075 depending on room chosen (€795 to share a twin room).  

The fee includes:

  • 7 nights accommodation at the beautifully restored Villa Lugara.

  • Full board with food from chef Jan Waterhouse; Mediterranean cuisine with local organic produce, local wine and all your refreshments. Two lunches out are not included in the price.

  • A personal studio space in the Stable Studios.

  • Large, shared, additional painting studio.

  • Full use of Villa Lugara and the swimming pool.

  • One transfer opportunity, by car, from Bologna Airport on arrival and departure. See travel information below.

Course Description

This course aims to integrate our immediate instinctive response to the world through drawing with the more complex challenges of painting in colour. What we see and feel about the world around us often needs a systematic ordering which drawing allows us to explore; the construction of composition, editorial choice of elements, the specific energy of the mood. The objective is a harmony in which materials, formal elements of rhythm and surface express visually what words could not. Colour is at the heart of these relationships.

We will combine working outdoors from specific local locations with studio sessions in which the personal concerns of each student can be focused on. These might include working from memory or areas such as developing a personal colour language. The studio space in a converted stable providing each of you with your own separate bay.

The course is suitable for all levels and there will be lots of one to one tuition as well as group discussion. I would like this course to feel as collegiate as possible working alongside each other in different ways to a common aim.

The local landscape is varied with spectacular open views rivers and woods, with ample subjects available on foot or a short drive away. There will be one trip to see the remarkable city of Modena to draw from the city and see its sights.

Travel Information

Make your own way to Bologna airport from where you will be collected by car. One group collection and drop off time will be arranged by email.

If you would like to fly via another airport, or travel by train and meet us at Bologna airport, you can find more details on our how to get here page.

You may want to allow time for a longer visit which could include the nearby cities of Modena, Bologna, Reggio Emilia, Parma, Ferrara, Piacenza and Mantova. Read more about the area at villalugara.com/about-emilia-romagna.

The Team

Mark Cazalet

Mark Cazalet is an artist who has worked across many media principally in drawing and painting for the last thirty years plus. He is a Senior Member of Faculty at The Royal Drawing School in London and Senior Tutor at West Dean College, as well as teaching at UWE Bristol and Arts in Provence. He has continuously shown at commercial galleries in the U.K. and internationally, fulfilling architectural commissions in glass, mosaic and weaving.


Fiona Geilinger

Running the villa and supporting the course is host, artist, Fiona Geilinger. She studied art by pupillage, with painter Nick Bodimeade and has an MA in Art and Design by Independent Project, University of Brighton. Find out more about Fiona’s work at fionageilinger.co.uk.

Steve Geilinger

Helping out with driving and other odd jobs during the course will be Steve (Spike) Geilinger. He is a freelance director, working mainly for the BBC, making documentaries about fine art, architecture, history and food. Most recently he has been making the series ‘Britain’s Lost Masterpieces’ with Bendor Grosvenor for BBC Four.

Jan Waterhouse

Jan Waterhouse has been cooking for events for over 30 years. She is looking forward to using the outstanding locally sourced produce to create dishes for the guests to enjoy.

How to Book

First get in touch with the tutor Mark Cazalet to check your suitability for the course at m.j.cazalet@icloud.com. Mark will also explain the arrangements for paying the tuition fee.

We will then send you a link to book your room at Villa Lugara via our booking portal. The course is booked on a first come first serve basis and you can reserve your place with a 20% deposit. The remaining 80% must be received by 25th April 2022 to retain your place.

If you have any queries about your stay at Villa Lugara contact us here.